Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Why coupon?


After much prompting from friends and family about creating a blog...I gave in. Why do I coupon? Above is a picture of my purchases yesterday at Safeway and Fred Meyer. It cost $9.45 out of pocket, but I have a $10 off my next purchase to spend. So really, it's like I was paid .55 cents to take everything home.

I've heard the following comments regarding couponing:

1. It takes too much time to cut and organize coupons
True, it does take time. I found the initial start up to be the most time consuming. Now it usually won't take  more than an hour a week for me to clip and organize my coupons.

2.   You can only buy junk food with coupons
As you can see from the picture above, there isn't a single item of "junk." And, I essentially got paid to purchase those items.


3. We've all been there (meaning I must coupon because I have to)
Whether you "have to" or not, couponing is a great way to save money. Why give all your hard earned money to the store when you can get a better deal on it?

4. Don't you have to go to a zillion different stores?
Unless there is an amazing deal elsewhere I tend to stick with Albertsons, Fred Meyer and Safeway. And with the exception of this past week, will only pick 2 of the 3 of those to visit. If Rite Aid has a great money maker I will go there but otherwise don't bother. Walgreens is another great money maker but Walgreens is 20 miles away usually making it cost prohibitive.


5. And just plain "Why?" 
For me, it's fun; like a game. Where can I get the best deal? What store will pay me to buy this week? My family would rather spend our grocery money on something fun. In addition, we are currently on one income and attempting to remain free from credit card debt so it makes sense to shop frugally.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy being frugal also. Looking at your picture I have some more ideas for ways for you to save. Make your own baby food. Very easy to do. I only used bought baby food when we traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Greta! I look forward to hearing more blogs from your coupon spree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah,

    I try to make some baby food. Yes, I agree it is way cheaper. Thanks for the tip :) It will encourage me to make baby food more often!

    ReplyDelete